In addition to accepting loans as part of your financial aid award, loan borrowers have additional processes that need to be completed in order to have loan funds available.
The promissory note is a legal document. It is your promise to use the money for educational purposes and to repay the loan.
All student and parent borrowers
for Federal Subsidized, Unsubsidized, and PLUS Loans
who have not previously borrowed these funds in
the Direct Loan Program must complete
a Master Promissory Note (MPN).
Borrowers complete the appropriate promissory note for each loan program they accept through the online award process.
New students will need to complete promissory notes. Returning students can always sign onto the individual promissory websites linked below to check to see if they have a completed, active promissory note on file.
- Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans: MPNs should be completed with the Department of Education (ED) online after accepting the loan on your award offer within Catalyst. You will have to "log in" to the federal student loan website using your FSA ID username and password and follow the appropriate links.
- Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loans: Parents or step-parents of dependent students can borrow the Federal Parent PLUS Loan. Parent borrowers must pass a credit check when these loans are processed.
- "Log in" at https://studentaid.gov and online tabs will provide links for the Parent PLUS application (credit check) and MPN processes.
- The application (credit check) will need to be completed each year the parent wishes to borrow.
- More detailed information on the Parent PLUS process is also available.
- Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans: Graduate students are the borrowers of the Federal Graduate PLUS Loan. Though this is a student loan, graduate student borrowers must pass a credit check to secure funding.
- Accept the Graduate PLUS Loan amount you wish to borrow within the award offer in Catalyst.
- "Log in" at https://studentaid.gov and online tabs will provide links for Grad PLUS MPN process.
- Prospective borrowers can also complete the online application (credit check) if they want to know in advance if the loan will meet approval criteria.
- Borrowers will automatically be reviewed for credit when UC processes any accepted Graduate PLUS Loan.
- Federal Nursing or Health Professions Loans: Students will complete part of the process online and then will be directed to print, sign, and mail a paper promissory note from the Website. Please select your awarded loan program to complete the appropriate promissory note: